Sunday, April 05, 2009

Nagging Thoughts: Loved the Way I Am

See Background for previous post

And I disagree with my friends on another point. I don't want to be loved the way I am. I think that it would be a sad, pitiful creature who accepts me as I am today and is willing to live with me this way for the rest of his life.

I am not perfect. I will never be perfect, but I'm a lot further from perfect than I potentially could be. I want to be loved for my potential. And while I want to be loved today, I want it to be understood that I am striving for better, and if they have that in mind, they can encourage me to be better, rather than, "why change, you're fine now".

Think of it. A guy decides he loves you "as you are now." He doesn't expect you to mature, or grow, he's okay with you staying at that maturity level forever. No. I don't want that. He's settling for lower than he can get. See my potential. Be with me for the person I want to be, whom I'm trying to be. Help me get there. And for the rest of your life, you will be with a person who is better than the person you first met.

No comments: