Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Wind in the Trees

So, quick exercise. Wave your hand at your face, like you're fanning yourself on a hot day. Question: is your hand moving the air, or is the air flowing past your hand and making it wave? You've answered the question, whether aloud or to yourself, and you've given the text a weird look because you think the answer's obvious. Question 2: When you see the wind moving through the trees, is the wind flowing past the trees and making them wave, or are the trees pushing the air? And you stubbornly give the opposite answer because you KNOW that the wind is made by hot air moving up and cold air moving down. Let me ask you another question: When was the last time you felt wind moving either up or down? I mean, down near the ground, not miles up in the air, wind seems to go in a side to side motion, right? Just, allow for the fact that air can circulate up and down in the atmosphere, AND there may be another reason why wind moves side to side down on the ground. Forget what you KNOW and answer this question: is your hand moving the air, or is the air moving your hand?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My disagreement with Professor Flores was nitpicky, as I said. I said that human beings had value because God gave us a high worth and set the price of our salvation at the death of His Son, which He saw as worth paying! i.e. We have value because God values us.

Professor Flores disagreed, he said we had value because we are made in the image of God.

My whole rant was about why I felt Flores was in error: I would find it more correct to state something like the following: We have value because God values us. God values us because we are made in His image.

heh

Ofcourse, I ended up trying to explain the difference to my poor roomie. Who found the whole thing completely confusing. As would my classmates if I had tried to explain it then and filled up class time with my nitpicking... which is why I didn't. Besides, Flores moved on... heh. :)