Monday, January 22, 2007

Daddy

Daddy? Are you there? Daddy?
Daddy, remember how I asked to go abroad for a semester,
But I needed you to help me with my homework?
Well, my GPA’s still too low. I can’t go.
It’s okay, Daddy, maybe it’d be too hard for me.
Maybe something would happen overseas and I’d get hurt.
I know you’re looking out for me, but, Daddy, are you?
I cussed at my sister the other day, did you know?
Mom heard me and told me to stop.
She said that what was worse than hearing those words
Was hearing them come out of my mouth.
My angel’s mouth. But I haven’t had an angel’s mouth
Since I learned how to talk. Remember?
Daddy, I’ve seen you spank others when they sin,
And then they give you a hug. They know you care.
I can’t remember the last time you punished me.
I lust after boys, have you noticed?
I’m angry on the inside, do you care?
I speed, I’m impatient with people, I hate, I’m selfish and lazy.
Thank you for this beautiful day, but, Daddy,
You make the sun shine on the good and the wicked.
What will it take for you to pay attention to me?
What do I need to do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know it seems almost like a journal entry, but it comes across as poetic. Very moving.