Tuesday, April 22, 2008

To all the happy squirrels

Before Grover flies across the screen in his red cape
Before King Friday gives his newest proclamation
There is a hippie with a pallette.
His calm, soothing, gentle voice teaches me the difference between burnt umber and sienna before I can spell "yellow".
I watch him take a blank canvas and dextriously create a beautiful forest with a puddly path.
As his knife puts a shine on the water, I stomp in the puddles.
As he adds branches to his pines, together we imagine a happy squirrel bounding home, his cheeks full.
And as he dries his brushes by "beating the devil out of them," I giggle.
During that quiet, still half hour in the living room, I am completely immersed in his magic
Watching him create a world just for me.

-in memory of Bob Ross

No comments: