Friday, September 16, 2005

The Library

Arrow on the string,
I enter the jungle wild.
Not to return
Until I've faced my trial.

Swimming across the stream
Where natives pole past,
I reach the foot of the cliff
Where years ago, I may have retreated, aghast.

But now with skill
I silently scale the rock.
Anticipating what I may find
When I reach the top.

Another forest
Laced with trails aplenty,
Aimed to discourage,
But it falters not my smile of glee.

Stalking up some,
Abandoning others,
I sniff out my prey
Ignoring its brothers.

Passing fellow hunters
My heart begins to race.
Did they already find my prize?
Make the kill in this place?

Worried now, I increase my pace.
Where, oh where, is my trophy?
Finally I spot its den
Watching it recline, free.

Eye along the sight
My goal's life I take.
Hesitate a moment,
Then also capture its mate.

Carrying my kill proudly
Back down the cliff,
Across the river,
Backtracking my trip.

I stop for a moment
At the native outpost,
Showing them my catch,
Trying hard not to boast.

Finally back into the world
I go, taking note of a pretty
catch I'd seen, that would make
a good prize on my next journey.

No comments: